Location: Courthouse Square
Year Built: 1877 - 1879
The Courthouse is of the French Renaissance Style of Architecture. It was designed by Edwin May and began construction in 1877.
History of the Building:
Construction began on the courthouse in 1877 and finished in 1879. This is the third courthouse built in Hamilton County.
Restored in 1992-94 to its former glory, the courthouse rises three stories to a mansard roof with tall chimneys, corner copings, iron cresting, and dormer and ocular windows.
The clock tower, though not the original, continues to operate.
Inside, a two-story courtroom was the site of the nationally famous 1925 trial of Ku Klux Klan leader, D. C. Stephenson.
The courthouse was also visited by Theodore Roosevelt in 1902 and later by Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1920.